Hawaii State Standards provides expectations for student achievement in Hawaii. They are written upon based upon different subject areas as well as different groupings of grade levels. Organized under this format, offers lots of flexibility to all Hawaii's school district s planning the curriculum. In this assignment, I have chosen two Hawaii state standards for grade 2, under language arts and reading as a strand. The assignment highlights an objective for each topic of the standard, 8 for standard 1 and 2 for standard 2. To start with;
Standard 1: conventions and skills: this uses knowledge of the conventions of languages and texts in the process of constructing meaning for a range of literary and informational texts for a variety of purposes, (Hawaii State Standards for Language Arts: Grade 2, 2011). This is much helpful to students in the following ways:
1. Students will have a chance of looking at text structures, where they will be using tables of content as well as chapter headings with the aim of locating information in a particular text. This will be used independently in finding specific information in texts.
2. Students will also be in a position of using structural clues when reading compound, contractions and ineffectual ending words. Students will be in a position of recognizing structural clues like two familiar words that have been combined into one, use of apostrophe in places that letters are missing, or even meaning owning like using apostrophe after s or before.
3. Students will also have a chance of applying syllabication along with knowledge of word structure in the processing of recognizing two- and three-syllable words. Students will also look at vocabulary and concept development which will help them use new grades.
4. Students will also look at vocabulary development which will help them increase the number of words that they can read both accurately and automatically.
5. Students will have a chance of identifying relations among common synonyms and antonyms, which will help them basic understanding relation among word activities.
6. Students will read allowed texts in a fluent and expressive manner putting more emphasize on certain words with the aim of demonstrating comprehension.
7. It will help students on how to locate sources and gather information from different sources. Students will be in a position of finding important information or even answers from different sources.
Limited time Offer
8. Students will learn how to identify high frequency words and learn how to read the accurately.
The second Standard is: reading comprehension: Use reading strategies to construct meaning from a variety of texts. Through this standard:
1. Through understanding text structures, students will be in a position of using organizational patterns like comparing and contrasting as well as prepositions which are much significant in the process of accessing information.
2. Students will also look at meaning construction especially in making inferences and drawing conclusions about appropriate texts. This will enable students to have the ability of recognizing new words encountered during reading, define them and even go to an extent of writing and saying them correctly. They will also have the ability of using new grade -appropriate vocabularies that are introduced in stories along with information texts.
In conclusion, language arts especially reading have the ability of offering positive effects in learning conditions. As a benefit with Hawaii's standards, language strand has the ability of promoting achievement with higher scores, enhancing test scores along with self esteem, and generally improving overall cognitive performances. Grade two are introduced with reading discipline that will latter carry onto the later grades as a way on encouraging individual's reading, improving pronunciation along reading speed.
Related Education essays